The Five Room Dungeon Model does for RPG Adventures what the Three Act Structure does for screenplays. It gives your players five areas or phases of a single dungeon to explore and interact with.
Let’s briefly review the five rooms:
- Entrance/Guardian: a gatekeeper to stop undesirables from gaining entrance.
- Roleplay/Puzzle Challenge: a chance to use brain instead of brawn.
- Red Herring: a path that goes nowhere.
- Boss: the big baddie at the end of the dungeon.
- The Twist: suddenly, everything you know is wrong…
So where do we begin when designing this dungeon? Continue reading “5 Room Dungeon, Room 0: Theme”